Sunday, August 14, 2011

Mo money Mo problems

I don't know anything about these problems Biggie Smalls raps about. This was made perfectly clear recently when P took pictures of all of our valuables for insurance purposes. I followed him around the apartment like a curious cat (Lizzie, our cat, would follow P everywhere when she was a kitten...now I see the allure). This should be fun. Let's see all that we have acquired in our 7 years together!

He snapped the requisite technology; two TVs, a desktop, a laptop, a stereo (do we even call them that anymore?) and an IPOD the size of a brick we bought as newlyweds (I hope our policy is replacement value because this one isn't worth 5 bucks). A nice camera we purchased for our Babymoon in Maui (just a cheesy name for your last chance to live it up before the ball, I mean, baby drops). What else do we have? The jewelry, of course. As I arranged the items on the kitchen table (a couple of nice watches we have bought for each other, our wedding rings and some lovely pieces P has gifted me), I saw it. This all fits in one shot. That's it. No need for more pictures. All of our family jewels (no double entendre intended) fit neatly on one placemat.

Shouldn't we have MORE? I know that sounds greedy and awful but that is how I felt after our inventory session. When you see, piece by piece, the items in your life that are insurable it can be shocking.

Why had I never realized this before? Is it because I'm a glass half-full type of person so I have never dwelled on what I don't have? Or is it because, thanks to a very practical mother, I have always understood that life is about priorities. We prioritize experiences over belongings. I would rather spend on a nice dinner with friends than a dress, any day. I guess I have had my share of dinners because I don't own many dresses. I have also prioritized financial security above shopping. P and I socked away a nice percentage of our paychecks to an emergency fund. Turns out we have needed it. Finances are a very personal thing and what works for one person may not for another. I am not trying to get all Suze Orman on you and shell out financial advice. I'm only interested in finding out why a $25,000 renter's policy is more than enough for us.

The photo shoot also made me think about the expectations I used to have for an adult when I was a kid. And whether I was living up to them being that I am, in fact, an adult now. I suppose I thought that nearing thirty years old, I would be a bit more, let's say, sophisticated. I would be an owner of a nice string of pearls and something Chanel other than sunglasses. A nice tweed suit perhaps? Although I worked in costumes for five years I didn't get swept up in that lifestyle. I only made a few big splurges on designer handbags as rewards for surviving some grueling film projects. Now I cannot even fathom spending that kind of money on a purse. That money could make a nice contribution to LO's college fund. Such thoughts confirm to me that I will most likely never own another Chloe bag. So I'll take extra good care of it. Should I photograph it too?

Anyhow, as I struggled with my disappointment, a positive realization came to me. Seeing my sparsely accessorized placemat was liberating (here's the glass half-full trait at work). We are not tied to much - just to each other. Life seemed more clear and simple. Money is irrelevant. I was in the middle of an 'AHA' moment!

What matters is really experiencing all that life has to offer....love, sunsets, nibbling on your baby's toes, sipping wine with friends, seeing new places. Wait, I already have a problem with this epiphany. I can't renounce money all together. I do need money to experience life the way I like. I want wine and travel and in practical terms, LO needs diapers and plenty of food. Money should be respected (if you have too little, life can be a bitch) but not adored. Maybe P and I were on the right track to begin with. We spend on what we need and what brings us joy. And try not to get swept up in the rat race (this is not always easy which is why I don't even step into a Sephora; I always come out of there with another lipstick I don't need).

So when I get overwhelmed by the material world, I'll think of my placemat. It will remind me that I have it all and not much at the same time. Just how I like it.

The pearls will have to wait for now. Where would I rock them anyhow... the playground?

3 comments:

  1. Such a wise one you are…love you and your witty, humorous manner in commenting on this financial epiphany and life in general…the glass half full outlook suits you well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I couldn't agree more. I think lots of people are learning this lesson with the way the economy is. Well said my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nona- a lot of this wisdom has been passed down to me, by you!

    LL - I guess that's the silver lining of this crappy economy. People may be simplifying their lives.

    ReplyDelete